Sunday, February 14, 2010

Now It Opens Doors


I've seen on the net that people are taking apart their Leatherman Micras and cutting down their keys to go in place of the blades. I'm not much of a metal worker so I gave it a try with a cheap knockoff first.

With a five dollar mini-tool I got at Wally World I managed to splice in my house and truck keys with nothing more than a bench grinder and a couple pairs of pliers. I expect it would have gone smoother if I had a Dremel at my disposal, but it works for now.

This one's a little fat, and I've already got enough tool power on my person at all times so I'm not really using the rest of the blades for anything. Although when dressed up and not wanting to wear the Bat Belt it might be handy to keep they keys and a couple odd tools in the pants pocket and keep a low profile.

For daily use though I think a micra might be just the thing. Then I could grab one that has wire strippers, replace all the blades with keys and be ahead of the game with a slimmer, more useful package. Of course with the one I have now, I could just take 2/3 of it off and only carry one handle-half loaded with keys.

Now, my friend Tom over at the Leatherman Journal will likely come up with his own CNC milled version in titanium next weekend just to show me up. I may be hitting him up with a few design ideas myself. Maybe we could start a mail order company, fitting folks' keys into the tools of their choice.



1 comment:

MOM said...

Freekin cool! I am so going to do this so I have all my stuff on me for work at the hospital.